It’s that wonderful time of year again – pet hazard time! It only rolls around once a …. I mean 4 or 5 times a year… Oh, holidays.
Yes, holidays are the most common times of the year for your pets to be exposed to poisons and hazardous items in your home. Veterinarians like to use these magical times of year to remind you of all the ways your pet could potentially die. So morbid. Ah, well, you DO need to know!
Here are the most common hazards for your pets during EASTER:
1. Lilies, and any flower in the Lily family. Also daffodils.
If you’ve been around me for very long, you know that I remind you often about the dangers of lilies for cats. They are extremely toxic. Only one or two leaves or petals can send your cat into kidney failure. If you have cats, it’s better to not buy any lilies at Easter. Seriously. Don’t buy any.
2. Easter Grass
It’s that pastel colored stringy stuff that lines the bottom of your Easter basket. And it’s irresistible to your pets. If they ingest it, it can cause severe problems in the intestines and may require surgery to remove it. Not a happy ending.
3. Chocolate. Duh.
You all know this one, right? Chocolate is toxic to your pets. The darker it is, the worse off your pet will be. I suggest putting any Easter candy, baked goods, or other treats under lock and key, far away from your curious pets.
Xylitol is that artificial sweetener that’s used in candy, gum, and even mouth wash. It’s extremely toxic to your pets. Ingesting as little as 1 or 2 pieces of gum containing xylitol can put your doggie in the hospital for days.
Now that you know the hazards, take the time to keep your pet safe! And have a Happy Easter!!
If your pet ingests any of these hazardous substances, get thee to an emergency clinic!